Posted by: Jeremy Webb on Jul 17, 2012
NABCEP PV Installer Certification continues to gain ground as an industry standard as more utility companies and government agencies require that systems be installed by a NABCEP Certified Installer for those systems to qualify for incentives. ONTILITY, in keeping with its commitment to solar industry growth, wants to help as many qualified solar professionals as possible to become NABCEP certified. If you have the experience and knowledge to qualify for the NABCEP exam, we want to do whatever we can to help you pass it the first time. Our exam prep class is one way we can help.
ONTILITY's intensive two-day NABCEP Exam Preparation Course will lead qualified professional solar installers through the difficult task of passing the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) Solar PV Installer Certification Exam. Solar PV Installers who attend this class will review advanced PV design problems, electrical and safety topics, and discuss test-taking strategies.
The enrolment fee for ONTILITY's two-day exam preparatory class is $595, and registration and payment can be accomplished online. The ONTILITY NABCEP Exam Prep Class is being offered in North America: Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, New Orleans, Raleigh, Miami, St.Louis, Philadelphia.
John Berry, ONTILITY Director of Training Sales notes, "The ONTILITY Solar Training program is a truly comprehensive approach to professional solar training and career development. It's so much more than workshops and seminars. ONTILITY Solar Training provides solar training courses and career path development tracks which are in tune with what the industry and market demand. Following the Los Angeles solar training program launch in March, ONTILITY will offer a full schedule of solar design, installation and PV technical sales training courses in the major solar markets over the following months."
If you are working in the solar industry you've probably heard how rigorous the NABCEP Certified PV Installer exam is. Tim Coats, ONTILITY Senior Solar Consultant, Instructor, Design Engineer and NABCEP Certified PV and Thermal Installer, puts it this way:
"When I took the Solar PV Installer Exam I knew it was probably going to be one of the harder open-book tests that I had taken. I was right. I am so glad that I was very well prepared. NABCEP certification will soon become the standard for installing solar (thermal and PV) in the US. It may soon be required to install solar in your area." Tim continues, "I walked out of the exam room thinking that I was not as ready as I had thought. I know that I had studied every resource NABCEP recommended, but the exam looked very little like what I had studied. However, I did passed the EXAM ! I know the reason I passed is because I had spent so much time learning how to solve the problem of passing the test. What I mean is that I practiced the very skill that is the main key to passing the test – Problem Solving. In the end, I think that is the crux of what NABCEP is looking for, Solar Installers who can identify and solve PV installation challenges and complex design problems. "
When you look at the NABCEP Certified PV Installer Job Task Analysis, you'll see six major content domains covered and everything involves finding the best solution to a problem. Whether it's identifying the correct way to deal with potential hazards, finding the best location for equipment or even selecting the best tools for a job, problem solving is required. That's why the itemization of tasks is so extensive and comprehensive, covering every aspect of the PV system installation and design process:
- System Design
- System Installation
- Project Management
- Electrical Components
- System Commissioning
- Operation and Monitoring
- Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
So how can you better prepare for the NABCEP Certified PV Installer Exam?
- Read everything on NABCEP's reading list. That means every one of the resources theat NABCEP lists, and it is alot.
- Spend some extra time with the NEC, 2011 edition. Even if you are an experienced electrician, review the sections which pertain to solar and memorize where things are. Other than a calculator, the code book is the only resource available to you during the 4-hour test. And you do not want to spend extra time trying to figure out what part of the code applies to the problems.
- Review the details of every PV project you've ever worked on, no matter how minor those details may seem. Think about issues you had to solve both during the design and on-site during the installation. The kinds of problems you've solved before may show up on a 60 question test on March
- Finally, Attend the ONTILITY NABCEP Exam Prep Class. If you are a licensed electrician or hold certification in any trade, you probably didn't take that exam without a test prep session. Don't try it with the NABCEP exam. This class is offered in many cities in August and September, his is just a few: Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, New Orleans, Raleigh, Miami, St.Louis, Philadelphia.
Improve your problem solving ability, and improve your chanced of passing the exam. We believe problem solving is the key and being able to think through complex problems quickly, find the information you need efficiently and draw sound conclusions is extremely important. This is precisely the reason that ONTILITY designed its AS210 - NABCEP PV Installer Certification Exam Prep class the way they did. Two days of advanced design challenges, installation problems and code issues, intense problem solving, lively discussion and instruction from the ONTILITY PROS - the ONTILITY Solar Instructors, all NABCEP Certified PV Installers, so they know what they're talking about, that's how you can prepare for the test.